Saturday, October 30, 2010

My first post as a triathlete, or should I say, rookie triathlete.

I first entertained the idea of triathlons in 2007, it was back then when I registered at BeginnerTriathlete.com and looked around the forums for hours at a time. I can't remember exactly why I did, but it took 3 years and a few changes in life to finally take the plunge. Back in April of 2009 I achieved one of my ultimate goals, becoming a career firefighter. In firefighting, there is a tradition where you are known as a "probie" or a "rookie/rook" during your first year, hence the naming of this blog. During this time you work your behind off and earn your spot in the firehouse, not leaving much time for anything else. It has been 6 months since I completed my rookie year, and my schedule has finally allowed me to take on a new hobby and lifestyle, triathlons. I plan to use this blog as an outlet to share all my experiences with both new and experienced members of the online triathlon community. I will focus on both training and informative videos and findings, so feel free to check back often for updated posts. I hope to make this a valuable tool for fellow rookies hungry for any information they can feed on.

This is where I have to take a minute and give credit to a few people, specifically my wife, family and friends. My wife for supporting me no matter what kind of crazy ideas I come up with. Trusting me in spending hundreds of dollars on bike parts and gear to start training and getting back into shape (other than round) and my family for supporting me and cheering me on throughout my first tri, even my wonderful sister who pointed out that I was the only one walking through the aid station, thanks! Secondly to my close friends Ito, Claudio, and Robert for buying bikes and riding together, and a special thanks to a former fatty, Yasser. He was the one who introduced us to the world of bicycles and in turn let me introduce him to the world of swimming. As a former high school swimmer, it is by far the strongest of the three sports for me, and I have some experience teaching it. With just a few "lessons" and a couple of weeks, Yasser went from not being able to swim 50m straight to a 400m open water swim during our first triathlon in September. Together we trained and completed our first triathlon, the Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon on September 19th, 2010.

My new hobby, triathlons. Not a cheap choice by any means! I was able to save up and began with a $450 budget. With some patience, luck, and persistence I was able to buy, sell, and trade my way up to my current bike. It is a 2006 Felt B2 frame with Ultegra group and TT3 wheels. In my next post I will explain what methods I used to work my way up from $450 budget to a bike valued at over $1000 without spending an extra penny, with just some patience and luck, and craigslist. Here she is!


I got my fitting done today and I can tell the difference right away, I feel much more comfortable on the saddle. I have this week off from work and I plan on putting it to good use. My next triathlon will be the 1st Annual Key West Triathlon on December 4th. It's a sprint race and will be 750m swim, 12mile bike, 3.1mile run. It will land 6 weeks into my 20 week Olympic Distance training plan that will end with the first race in WTC's new 5150 series race on March 13th, here in Miami, FL.

Short Term Goals:

Train and stay healthy
Complete my next sprint triathlon
Stop drinking Sunkist :)
Work on my running

Long Term Goals:

Train and stay healthy
Get ready for Olympic distance triathlon in March 2011
Improve my Sprint distance times in next years Mack Cycle races

Really Long Term Goals:

Half Ironman
Ironman

Thanks for taking some time to read my blog! I hope you enjoy it and maybe even learn something from it. Until next time!

Tri Rook

No comments:

Post a Comment